Haohong Duan, Associated Professor, doctoral Supervisor
2005-2009 B.Sc Degree of Department of Chemistry, Beijing University (Supervisor: Prof. Chunhua Yan)
2009-2014 Ph.D. Degree of Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University (Supervisor: Prof. Yadong Li)
2015-2018 Postdoc fellow in Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford (Cooperative Supervisors: Prof. Dermot O’Hare and Prof. Edman Tsang)
Since 2019 Associated Professor in Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University
Principles of General Chemistry (fundamental course for undergraduates)
Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry Experiment (fundamental course for undergraduates)
Awards and Honors
2014 Excellent doctoral dissertation of Tsinghua University
2014 Outstanding PhD graduate of Tsinghua University
2021 Qingshan Science and Technology Award
2022 Beijing Natural Science Found for Distinguished Young Scholars
2023 National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars
Dr. Haohong Duan began independent research career since 2019. He has been working on the development of electro- and photoelectro-catalytic systems, synthesizing novel catalysts and designing efficient reactors, for coupling hydrogen evolution and value-added anodic reactions, making contribution to the sustainability of co-production of green hydrogen and valuable chemicals driven by renewable energy. Based on the novel works, Duan has published more than 50 papers as the first or corresponding authors, including Nat. Catal., Nat. Commun., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Duan is also one of the editors and authors of a book “Photocatalysis Using 2D Nanomaterials” (2022, published by Royal Society of Chemistry). He was awarded Distinguished Young Scholars of China, Distinguished Young Scholars of Beijing and Green Tech Award, etc. He is also a member of Advisory Board of Chemical Science, and a specially invited editor of Science Bulletin, and youth editor of Science China Chemistry and other excellent journals.
18. Zhou, H., Ren, Y., Duan, H.* et al. Scalable electrosynthesis of commodity chemicals from biomass by suppressing non-Faradaic transformations, Nat. Commun. 2023, 14 (1).
17. Li, J., Ji, K., Li, B., Xu, M., Wang, Y., Zhou, H., Shi, Q., Duan, H.* Rechargeable biomass battery for electricity storage/generation and concurrent valuable chemicals production, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2023, e202304852 (a News Article)
16. Yan, Y., Li Z.*, Duan, H.,* et al. Electrocatalytic upcycling of biomass and plastic wastes to biodegradable polymer monomers and hydrogen fuel at high current densities, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2023, 145, 6144–6155 (Front Cover)
15. Zhu, Y.-Q., Zhou, H.,* Duan, H.,* et al. Identification of active sites over cobalt oxyhydroxide in glucose electrooxidation, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2023, e202219048
14. Li, Z., Duan, H.* et al. Electrocatalytic Oxidation of KA Oil to Adipic Acid Coupled with H2 Production Enhanced by a Ligand Modification Strategy, Nat. Commun. 2022, 13:5009
13. Ji, K., Duan, H.* et al. Electrocatalytic Hydrogenation of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural Promoted by a Ru1Cu Single-Atom Alloy Catalyst, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, e202209849.
12. Luo, L., Li, Z.,* Duan, H.* et al. Selective Photoelectrocatalytic Glycerol Oxidation to Dihydroxyacetone via Enhanced Middle Hydroxyl Adsorption over Bi2O3-incorporated Catalyst, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2022, DOI: 10.1021/jacs.2c00465 (Front Cover)
11. Ge, R., Duan, H.* et al. Selective Electrooxidation of Biomass-Derived Alcohols to Aldehydes in a Neutral Medium: Promoted Water Dissociation over a Nickel-Oxide-Supported Ruthenium Single-Atom Catalyst, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202200211
10. Li. Z., Duan, H.* et al. Alcohols Electrooxidation Coupled with H2 Production at High Current Densities Promoted by a Cooperative Catalyst, Nat. Commun. 2022, 13:147
9. Li. Z., Duan, H.* et al. Photoelectrocatalytic C–H halogenation over an oxygen vacancy-rich TiO2 photoanode. Nat. Commun. 2021, 12:6698
8. Zhou, H., Duan, H.* et al. Selectively upgrading lignin derivatives into carboxylates through electrochemical oxidative C(OH)-C bonds cleavage by a Mn-doped cobalt oxyhydroxide catalyst. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 8976-8982
7. Zhou, H., Duan, H.* et al. Electrocatalytic upcycling of polyethylene terephthalate to commodity chemicals and H2 fuel. Nat. Commun. 2021, 12, 4679
6. Cui, T., Zhang, J.,* Duan, H.,* Wang, D.,* et al. Atomically Dispersed Pt−N3C1 Sites Enabling Efficient and Selective Electrocatalytic C−C Bond Cleavage in Lignin Models under Ambient Conditions. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2021, 143, 9429-9439.
5. Duan, H., Li J.,* Tsang, S.,* O’Hare, D.* et al. Molecular nitrogen promotes catalytic hydrodeoxygenation. Nat. Catal. 2019, 2, 1078-1087.
4. Duan, H., Tsang. S.,* O’Hare, D.* et al. Hydrodeoxygenation of water-insoluble bio-oil to alkanes using a highly dispersed Pd-Mo catalyst, Nat. Commun. 2017, 8:591.
3. Duan, H., Li, J.,* Stamenkovic, V.,* Li, Y.* et al. High-performance Rh2P electrocatalyst for efficient water splitting, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139 (15), 5494-5502.
2. Duan, H., Wang, D.,* and Li. Y.* Green chemistry for nanoparticle synthesis, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2015, 44 (16), 5778-5792.
1. Duan, H., Li. J.,* Li, Y.* et al. Ultrathin rhodium nanosheets, Nat. Commun. 2014, 5: 3093.